1) Fuck everyone... No seriously fuck everyone.. When I got my first skateboard in the late 90s it still was the "outcast" thing to do. However, In reality, what are you worried about those fools for? Do you, boo.
2) Friendship... I think 95% of the people I know trace back to skateboarding in some way, shape, or form. That's regardless if they ride one or not. I couldn't tell you why, but I personally feel skateboarding is more then just an eight point whatever X thirty something inch piece of wood with 4 wheels attached to it.
3) The good ol' US of A... I've been to give or take, 20 states in this beautiful Union of ours... About 10 of the states have been specifically to ride this said piece of wood... Yet, I've done a tre flip in all 20.
4) dedication and commitment... Now that you're in your 20s or 30s, im sure you've worked for one thing all day/ night/ week/ month/ year/ lifetime/ whatever and saw minimal or no returns for all of that effort you put in...... You probably get where I'm going with this one.
5) everything... If you don't get it by now, the people I know and the places I go have a connection to skateboarding one way or another.. For better or worse It shaped me into the man I am today. This "sport" or "activity" we have is truly one of a kind. So love it and respect it because nothing will humble you out more then a skateboard.
I may not make a big splash in this world when it's all said and done. However, I was a skateboarder during the golden era of this shit, and that's more then enough for me.
Skate or die, bitch.